Boost Your Property's Resale Value Using Paint: 7 Tips to Consider
If you are planning to put your property on the market, you would want to increase its resale value first. But this does not necessarily mean undertaking expensive and laborious renovations. There is an easy yet fruitful way of doing so – and that is by using paint.
Painting your house will offer you the most benefits and ensure that your property gets its much-deserved attention from potential buyers. It is the most affordable investment with high returns.
To ensure a successful home revamp project, here are seven tips for increasing your property’s value using paint. You might be surprised at how wall texture paint can transform your property way better than before.
1. Try textured paint
When it comes to creating an extraordinary look in your house, textured paint can do so much. This paint type adds dimension and depth to the usual flat wall surface. It can also be used to conceal imperfections or make various faux finishes. If you’re dealing with dents, nicks, and cracks in your drywall, using textured paints is an excellent and more affordable alternative to doing a full replacement.
Here are available textured paints today:
- Premixed – This type of textured paint often comes in a bucket and has everything you need. It simplifies the process because it does not involve much work. You just have to buy it and begin painting.
- Self-mixing – This type of textured paint lets you create the mixture you want. You have to buy the base paint and then combine the texture ingredients yourself. Thus, you have the option to add as little or as much texture as you want.
- Smooth – This paint type doesn’t contain anything like sand to yield a rough texture. It is heavy and thick. Oftentimes, you can apply it using a regular paint roller or brush. It can also mimic the appearance of plaster or stucco.
2. Choose a paint finish wisely
Choosing the paint finish is just as crucial as choosing the color and texture. Remember, different sheens will have varied effects on the walls of your home.
Here are your options:
- High-gloss – This is the easiest to clean and most durable type of paint finish. It is a good choice for window trim, kitchen, and doors.
- Semi-gloss – This is a better choice for rooms where grease stains, drips, and moisture challenge walls, including bathrooms, kitchens, and chair rails.
- Satin – This is otherwise described as velvety. It is easy to clean, so it is a good choice for high-traffic areas like hallways and family rooms.
- Eggshell – This is an essentially flat finish with a bit of luster like an egg. It does an excellent job at covering wall imperfections. It is a good option for living rooms and dining rooms.
- Matte or flat – This paint finish offers the most coverage, but it is the toughest to clean.
3. Begin with the exteriors
When selling a property, curb appeal is among the most crucial factors. After all, it is the first area potential buyers see as soon as they arrive for assessment.
When the paint is faded or chipped, then you need to have the house’s exteriors painted right away. You can choose the same color or opt for neutral colors, such as brown, navy blue, gray, white, and beige.
4. Paint the trim
If the trim’s paint does not appear nice, it will negatively affect the overall look of any well-painted walls. Therefore, you must paint the exterior trim around the windows as well as the interior baseboards on the walls throughout your property. Though this may be a fussy job, it is worth it for the value-added look it offers.
5. Update your front door
Your front door is an essential welcoming piece that can add a fun and unique touch to the overall look of your property. Opt for colors that match the paint you used with your exteriors. You can also choose bold hues like red, blue, or black, as this offers a more personalized look.
6. Paint the shutters
Transform the look of your shutters using paint instead of installing new ones, which could be costly. Freshly painted shutters can instantly make the space brighter and lighter.
Oftentimes, white is the best color because it can match any paint color on the walls and appear stunning from the outside as well.
7. Decorate the floors
Paint won’t just refresh your property’s walls and ceiling. It can also do wonders for your floors.
Stunning floors can instantly boost your property’s resale value. For instance, stone and hardwood floors impress most buyers. For some, flooring surfaces that mimic the look of both are worth a price increase. And this can easily be achieved with today’s decorative concrete paint and finishes because they can achieve the luster and color of hardwood floors, granite, marble, and other precious stones.
When homebuyers make a purchasing decision, they don’t just focus on the neighborhood. They also consider wall colors, natural lighting, and the overall look of the property. So if you are planning to put your house up for sale, make sure to enhance its beauty first with these painting tips. But unless you have the proper knowledge and skill, consider working with professional painting contractors in Dubai to make sure that the job is done correctly and safely.
Ralph El Eid is the Business Development Manager at COLORTEK - Wall & Floor Fashion. EQUIPAINT is the franchise owner of COLORTEK in Dubai (U.A.E.) and Doha (Qatar); an international paints manufacturer specializing in the widest range of decorative paints and seamless concrete & resin flooring, with a unique showroom concept, and thus an ideal destination for homeowners, consultants, architects, interior designers and paint applicators.